My rules for being in any locker room. Anywhere, any time of day, any locker room. I’ve had to revisit this list since I’ve started swimming once a week. The pressure!!!
- Wear some sort of flip flops. My feet are important to me. I don’t want to get fungus or give any. I don’t think I have any but the point is, it’s a wet environment.
- Don’t be self conscious. We’re all women, we all have the same parts. Yes, we do look at each other but not in a creepy or sexual way. In my opinion it’s because 1) women are beautiful and unique and we’re curious about each other even if we don’t admit it; 2) We’re looking at each other and critiquing ourselves. Women are their own worst critics. Seriously, we should get over it and just embrace who we are and work on the things we aren’t as happy with.
- Pretty panties are a must. I love the whole bra and panty, lacy, pretty, make you feel good to have it on under your clothes even if no one else knows it’s there. Love it. I feel pretty and sexy knowing what’s on UNDER what’s on. In the locker room everyone DOES know what’s on under. Similar to being in an accident in dirty underwear maybe???? You’re in the gym to look better, so wear pretty under things. Trust me, it makes a difference.
- Keep your area cleaned up. We all have stuff. Those of you that take over an entire section of the locker room aren’t “sorry” – if you were sorry you’d pick up a little or take up less space. It’s called sharing.
- Say hello, strike up conversation, ask questions. A lady asked me the other day if I was training for a triathlon. Maybe. She was my moms age and told me of her experiences doing them and strongly encouraged me. It was wonderful. I enjoyed her insight and experience. Yes, we chatted in our underwear about triathlons. Do it. You never know what you could learn.
- If you see someone new that looks clueless like I still do – hey I just realized they provide shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the showers but have no idea where the towels are so I bring my own. Yes, really. For someone so outgoing I haven’t asked anyone yet. I just keep bringing my own
I’m sure there are more rules and regs for the locker room, but that about covers it. We’re in this fitness thing together so be kind, courteous and helpful